Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Viability

I have a calendar that I found and printed when I first found out I was pregnant. I have tried to find the site again and can not. the calendar lists all of the weeks and the date at which I finish that week. I like it b/c it is a quick reference to see about what week I will be for planning. For example, at work we have been trying to plan an audit in Montgomery. They have scheduled it for the week of June 7th. Well with out having to look through a regular calendar I can just look down at this quick list and know that I will be in my 27th week. There are other things on this calendar too. At the top it lists out Due Date, Conception, Pregnancy Test, 1st Heartbeat, Quickening, and Viability. Next to each of these is a date, the date that most likely they occur. While this is our second I had NO idea what quickening or viability were. This is why I love Google! Quickening is when you might first feel the baby move. Viability is when the baby has a 50% chance of survival if born early. I read a good bit about this part. This is what I found: A baby has a 35% chance of surviving outside the womb if born at 23 weeks, a 50% chance if born at 24-25 weeks (Viability--I am in my 24th week!), and a 90% chance of survival if born at 26 weeks! These numbers are from Wikipedia and based on data gathered during 2003-2005. I find this fascinating! God is capable of ANYTHING and never ceases to amaze me!

No comments:

Post a Comment